Thursday 20 August 2015

Thursday

It took over an hour today to switch my mobile phone from a contract to pay-as-you-go. I only took out the contract about 5 years ago because I was advised that, as someone who has no debt and no lending, I needed to get a standing order to improve my credit rating. So years of £30pcm for basically no reason, and being a person who never uses the phone - I've gone back to the way I preferred it. I had to spend quite a lot of time talking to someone who I suspect may have been a computer, he was very strange. I am now probably going to be about £300 per year better off. I even deleted most of the apps and limited the internet usage to almost zero.

The COOP re-opens again tomorrow after a big refit - I think there may already be a queue forming. There can be nothing worse than shopping at Tesco. I tried their egg custards earlier - couldn't finish them and gave them to the dogs. The sell food to people they clearly despise.

Spent quite a lot of time trying to organise my accounts today - cannot fathom what on earth I was doing before the accident - all my invoicing and accounting is just gibberish now. I am actually starting to worry a bit about money - I have a couple of outstanding invoices due at the end of this month - but I have a feeling the larger one will not be paid on time and I don't intend working for them again, I don't even want to talk to them - it's going to make life a bit tricky for me.

People are strange - I walked the dogs earlier and discovered that someone had put a chicken carcass into the dog poo bin. I don't understand that at all.

I have kind of set myself a deadline of the end of this month to try and get back to normal - it's a bank holiday, quite a useful bench-mark - and everything needs to be back in place or I can't move forward. I'm putting all my focus on it. I was intending to cycle to work today but on examination my new bike is much more sophisticated than I expected - I don't understand half of it - I'll need to study all the paperwork that comes with it.

My sister and her family are here tomorrow for a night. I'm trying to work out a schedule of events for them - places they can go etc, stuff to see - I'm at a loss to know what to do with teenagers.

I have to clean the house in the morning and make it look tidy - my sister hasn't seen it for a while - not since the roof blew off - it still looks like a building site. I'm going to try and keep them away - I never feel bad about this place until someone comes here.

There are noticeably more beggars and homeless people in Hastings now - it's really sad.

I voted for the next labour leader - properly, as I'm a member. I eventually decided to go with Andy Burnham - I think he's best placed to navigate the next 5 years without imploding, he has the chance to prove himself and I think he's capable of some depth we have not seen yet. In the end I was more and more impressed with Liz Kendall. Much of the criticisms thrown at her has been spiteful and misogynistic. I actually listened and read what she had to see and I'm impressed by her robustness - which is probably what most people dislike. Cooper came third - she's too burdened by the baggage of the past - and Corbyn last for me. I just can't understand why people are throwing themselves at him without any actual scrutiny. Now that I've voted - I'll just sit back and wait, don't intend getting into any more arguments. I'm quite sure that only Burnham will stay as leader for the next 5 years if he wins - and I'd rather look forward than have another messy election. The Tories are lapping it up.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reassuring to read you have taken a considered view on the corbyn hype (I hesitated to call it hype, but that is what it has become).

The last time I recall such hype about a new leader was in the run up to Blair becoming PM - and I think even his biggest fans would say that did not deserve unthinking mania! I actually know people voting for corbyn now who voted for Blair to become leader. Improbable, but true.

I bear Mr Corbyn no ill will - but it won't work out well for those throwing themselves without thought.

DL

Post a Comment