Thursday 25 April 2013

Thursday already

Worded hard yesterday preparing for a presentation in Leicester tomorrow - don't even think about how much it costs to get there by train, we have already considered getting a cab.

Thanks to my research - I now know EVERYTHING about Leicester. Pop 330,00 - 45% under 29, 16% Gujarati speaking, 70% have a 2nd language, 81% identified as English speaking 51% identified as white British, unusually high union membership and stronger than average social and family networks - poor rates of general health - peaking in specific ethnic and social groups ( South Asian, Afro Caribbean, Irish 1st and 2nd generation immigrants).The largest Diwali celebrations outside the Indian subcontinent and the largest covered market in Europe. I was pleased to discover that one of the main reasons Leicester is so popular with immigrants is that it has a much more relaxed social and ethnic mix with much greater levels of integration and is considered to be a really nice place to live.

I have worked in Leicester before - the headquarters of NEXT are there and I used to be there regularly - Leicester has a traditional industrial background that focused on textile, hats, shoes and garment construction.

 I was also surprised that Leicester - despite being a roman garrison town that was later sacked by the Danes and achieved city status around 600 - lost it during the Civil war and only regained it again in 1919. I like facts and I like making sense of them - apparently I'm a very dull date.

Pea souper all day yesterday - but apparently it's going to be nice today. I have to go to Brighton later for a couple of hours and I need to finish something for Tuesday for another client. I was supposed to go to a party last night but I was too tired. I'm pretty tired now - I'm going to try and get the dogs into kennels for a few days to give me a bit of a break - I need to catch up on sleep.

The robot comments on the blog are getting stranger and stranger. I've just deleted about 20 of them and tried to set up a spam filter. I doubt it will work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a robot.
Or ironic.

Richard said...

ah - but are you Jannis, because for some reason - her comments appear on the stats but not on the blog - and I have no idea why?

Post a Comment