Tuesday 12 February 2013

Tuesday

Busy again today. Some entertainment yesterday, thanks to the pope resigning, lots of pope jokes, and horse jokes, and papal horse jokes. Over it now.

Been having a lot of bad dreams - not just oddities - such as the dream I had recently about getting into a fight with dawn French - but recurring dreams I've had all my life - the one I've had since I was a kid where all the grown ups go mad and start killing each other - and another one about missing trains and getting lost in train and tube stations, wandering around platforms and tunnels.

By coincidence - that's exactly hat I did yesterday. Went to collect a computer monitor from a house in an unfamiliar part of town - and then managed to get lost - wandering around in the sleet, carrying a heavy piece of equipment, for over an hour - eventually ending up back where I started - I'd gone in a huge loop - until I found a road sign that said 'London, Brighton, StLeonards' - I seemed to be half way to Battle. I usually have an exceptional sense of direction - but not last night. Must have looks very odd, surprised I didn't get picked up by the police - very disorientated. I'll put it down to my occasional bouts of pseudo-senility.

Watched a bit of that 'Wonders of Life' last night - very well done, but has Brian Cox had work done?

Have a lot of small, annoying, awkward things to do - that get in the way of work, people keep emailing me - and in their mind, once it's emailed - it's done - they expect the work by return. Have stopped opening my emails after 7pm at night.

The monitor I bought requires an adaptor that I accidentally gave away last year, that's the story of my life.

I've been following the drama about the most recent cover for 'The Bell Jar' - there is an article in today's Guardian with a history of covers - frankly, I don't really like any of them. The latest isn't bad because of it's content - which most commentators seem to think had 'dumbed down' the book or trivialised it - but because it's so poorly executed and badly laid out - have particular issue with the weak typography - the authors name is badly spaced in a flimsy, wimpy font style that looks dated and prissy. Not good work at all. I bought a copy of 'Thinking in Numbers' - by Daniel Tammet last week - about numbers and cognition of number systems - it too has a fucking horrible cover. I've always quite liked the idea of working in book design, but it's not an industry I was able to get into - none of the agencies I worked for did them - and publishing, whilst not exactly a closed shop - is very different socially and professionally to the way I work. I'll just have to do y own - in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment