Friday 17 December 2010

Drama.

Someone I work occasionally, with who is 'quite well known' rang earlier to ask what number my house was - '6' I said... "not 9"? he asked, no - I relied "Oh - that's OK then". He knows where I live, he's been here enough times and only lives in Pett - last week they dropped of a box of satsumas and left it on the front step. I came home in the dark and fell over them - several rolled down the hill and I had to race down after them on the black ice. I just assumed it was his Xmas card and forgot about it.

I had an email exchange from hs partner - apparently it was something that had been delivered to number 9 by mistake - and I 'really ought to go and get it now".

Number 9 is where our milkman lives, and his dypsomaniac wife who is angling to take one of my bay trees, she's dropped enough hints. When I went round there - she had no idea who I was ( possibly a little lubricated ) and became quite dramatic, asked me lots of questions... and admitted she had no idea where she had put it - eventually finding it in their spare bedroom. I told her I was sorry about the fuss, but had no idea what it was - only that I should collect it straight away, I tried to make a joke and said 'perhaps it's a live chicken " ( neighbours already have them). This was a mistake as she believed me and became quite distressed.

Eventually the parcel was handed over - and I explained in detail who I was - man next door but 2 - has a greyhound.. you see him every day....etc, eventually she said " do you have that bay tree"? - this made all the difference and I have promissed that she can help herself to bay leaves whenever she wants.

It turned out to be a hamper - full of stuff I would never buy but often wonder about. I've just eaten some of the fudge - my first sweet stuff for years, it was a bit overwhelming. There is a bag of nuts - but as I've just had my teeth fixed ( and they are still a joy!) I'm not taking any risks. The wicker basket is just the right size for my little whippet cross.

I was in Butlers Emporium earlier and our local MP came in, she bought an expensive hat and everyone was very fawning. I can't abide her - even if she was a wonderful human being - the fact that she was once married to A.A. Gill makes her evil by association. I mentioned it on Facebook and subsequently started a witch hunt - she said something very stupid in the local paper today and I'm amazed nobody put her windows in. Actually - she has sold the house in Hastings.... her constituency... and will now live in Pimlico... which is not.


It's staggeringly cold - we had an inch of show earlier in a sudden blizzard - and are expecting about a foot of snow tomorrow. I might go to bed - I'm half way through 'A Night To Remember' for about the 50th time.

1 comment:

The Poet Laura-eate said...

I think we might share the same annoying friend whose heart is in the right place, but everything else about them is all over the shop.

Post a Comment