Sunday 17 November 2013

A cautionary tale...

I suspect that everything in my life eventually comes to a bad end. I had another go at the 'heat your room with 4 tea lights and a plant pot' method earlier. This time - I used a slightly bigger plant pot and 5 tea lights. It seemed to be working, more heat radiated and the plant pot pleasingly hot. I was in the kitchen for a while and could detect the odd chemical smell of candlewax - which i didn't really pay much attention to - then opened the living room door to find it full of smoke - the heat seems to have ignited all the wax and created a delightful ball of flame. The dogs were just sitting there - mesmerised in a smoke filled room. I put it out with the 'wet tea towel over a chip pan' manoeuvre and took the smoking mess outside. On the positive side - I now know I need a new smoke detector - additionally - I suppose the front room is much warmer and the smell of burnt wax isn't 'that' bad, now that the smoke has faded.

I'll pick up a new smoke detector in the morning - the one I have is wired to the mains and shouldn't have failed.

3 comments:

Steerforth said...

Apparently the cheap tealights contain paraffin, which gives off toxic fumes. There are safe tealights, but the cost negates the whole point of what seems like a brilliant money-saving idea.

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

I suspect it's a cunning plan by the dark departments of the government to reduce the aged, poor population of the UK by 50% this winter. The old style lightbulbs gave off just as much hear.

Mark said...

Two of my friends have had fire incidents with tealights, one led to the attendance of the firebrigade, summoned by a neighbour, while she was occupied blissfully unaware in another room, in quite a small flat

Post a Comment