Sunday 21 April 2013

Sunday.

Looks like a nice day - heavy frost this morning - as it was yesterday, but sun up already. Despite my cold ( which might be getting better ) I fixed the garden fence after much nagging from the woman next door. Frankly - I need a whole new fence - but I can't afford it. I cut it down to be shorter so it won't catch the wind - made sure that there were no holes and that it was more secure - and added some trellis to let whatever I can find to climb up it/ My side looks OK - her side looks like a dogs dinner. Not bothered. She still has not fixed her drains so the back corner of my house is still damp. Read my lips, Quid Pro Quo, Joan, Quid Pro Quo.

Did some general garden clearing up and went to bed early - the actual sun was lovely - and everything seems to be coming back to life again. Still have a cough and have totally lost my sense of taste. I made a chicken casserole yesterday - but couldn't eat more than a couple of mouthfuls and gave it to the dogs. Might try something like a curry later - anything with real taste.

Does it matter that the Boston Bomber will be denied legal rights - well - yes, of course it matters, it matters more than anything - that's the point, you can't claim the moral high ground unless you behave like it. There was a review of 'Olympus Has Fallen' on the radio - they hated the film, typical, macho, muscular America V the world bollocks - but all seemed to get carried away by the first 20 mins, during which most of Washington is destroyed by bombs. It is disturbing that the American media has reacted with such orgiastic glee after the Boston Bombing - I totally understand the need to honest reporting and the truth - but having seen the bomb explosions themselves countless times now - they really did remind me of the 3rd Die Hard film - which includes bombs in a public park and an opening scene with a bomb in a department store - so much of the American TV and Film culture seems to be a template for terrorism, the reviewers of 'Olympus' actually suggested you leave after the first part - your appetite for destruction sated - you don't have to bother with the plot. I can almost imagine the scene in the conference room at Fox or CBS as they review real-time footage "gee guys, can we make the explosions look any bigger?"

I was invited to a party last night ( well, two actually, I went to neither ) - one of them was a friends pre-wedding do. The strange thing is - the bloke she is getting married to is an artist called Brian Clarke - who was the subject of the first 'proper' book I bought with my own money when I joined a book club aged about 14.

This is why the world has gone mad. "drool proof ipad cover".....indeed...



No comments:

Post a Comment