Sunday 31 March 2013

Easter Sunday

It was minus12 in Scotland last night - and about minus1 here - longer than usual walk in the frozen country park. Almost no signs of new growth. A neighbour has a selection of tulips and daffodils that came through about 6 inches about a month ago - but have clearly now given up and are just tattered strips of green on the ground.

The early newspapers were a depressing read - almost every story seemed to be about benefit scroungers - despite most people classed as 'in poverty' being in work ( I can occasionally attest to that ) - I myself, have never actually met a benefit scrounger, nor have I ever been on benefits - but it scares the shit out of me. Steerforth has illustrated it far more eloquently than myself - here. Thinking about it this morning, I can't actually ever remember NOT being in recession - at any point since the day I left college - there was a bit of a boom for bankers and jobbing builders in the 1990's - but that doesn't count.

Caught sight of myself in the mirror earlier - had forgotten I'd shaved my head and gave myself quite a scare.

Boat race today. What a pointless exercise. Cannot fathom this one at all - why the nation gets gripped by smug, spoilt boys in an expensive, elitist college playing silly games on the river - just escapes me. Mind you - Grand National next week - really can't abide that one either.

earlier today - I went through a local camp site. Should be packed over Easter Weekend, there were only about a dozen motorised homes, the type with running hot water - toilets - satellite dishes and nuclear blast shielding.  The weather has had a massive effect on the economy - everything from disastrous clothing sales ( massive mountains of spring and early summer stock unsold and destined to give away prices ) leisure and hotels struggling, along with campsites and many other small businesses. Farmers struggling already - not just with the loss of livestock - but we can expect huge hikes in fresh vegetable prices later in the year as we have to rely on imports - and the price of bread will rocket.

These is some good news - Katie-Jordan-Price has married again, it's her 3rd husband but I think it's her 5th or 6th ceremony - this can only mean that she's one husband nearer to the one who sees sense and buries her under the patio.

No comments:

Post a Comment