Friday 8 March 2013

All downhill from here.

Today has been a bit shit, really. Apart from the 20 hours of driving rain, soaking me to the skin twice, the fog, and the seagulls ripping open next doors bin bags ( they only eat take aways - so plenty to feast on ) - and a really bad leak at the back of the house suggesting some expensive repair work - I started the day by accepting that I had to write off about 3k because the projects I was booked to work on have been cancelled - and just accept a discretionary amount for doing ALL the creative already. I then - just as I was writing another invoice - had a message to tell me that my client was being 'stiffed' by the main client - and that there was no money to pay me. I've lost quite a lot today - a fair few thousand - all work completed and more promised. A bit shit, really. Can't afford for that to happen, not really.

I had a walk about in the rain to clear my head. I was treated to a conversation in one shop - where one guy was explaining to another about his mental health issues, his love of Light Opera and how his medication wasn't really working the way it should. I picked up a hand knitted sleeveless pullover in fancy stitches for £2 from the Hospice shop - the label just said RETRO in big marker pen letters. It made me look like a C of E vicar.

My broadband speed has been almost non existent all week. I think they do it deliberately.

Caught the Archers earlier - it really made my day - if Chris Carter dies I'll buy a bottle of wine to celebrate.

I bought a load of old 1950's arts publications for 20p each today - mainly for the typefaces, and the small adds for 'artistic nude prints' - all from an address in Soho Square.

I've booked the dogs into kennels for a week for the period when I'm working away - at least it will give my dining room floorboards a rest from small dogs incessant and unending stream of piss. More money.

I'm picking up the wood burner tomorrow - a complex and frightening operation - and once again - more money I can't afford. I had a vague idea I might get to go up- the shard in a couple of weeks - but I've scrubbed that already.

Next week should be fun (joke). I did some creative pitch work with a client - and you know how you always do one idea that's totally off the wall and over ambitious but the client will never go for it and besides, there is no budget??? - yeah, you guessed it. We have to do about 10K worth of creative work, prop making, a massive photo shoot for less than a third of the photographers daily rate and manage a complex setup - for no money. It will look fantastic - but don't expect much conversation from me for a while - I'm going to be on dead-eyed autopilot for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment