Tuesday 6 September 2011

In to the Maelstrom

Bloody hell, that was a swift and brutal end to summer. Not seen weather like this in a while. It really wasn't that bad first thing - but by 7.30 it was blowing gale force off the sea and lashing rain through the fog - been like that for 12 hours now - I was glad to be in someone else's heated studio.

The train at 8.10 was full of schoolchildren back after the hols, all talking at the same time, all the girls were very heavily made up from the age of 10 or above - and they go to the 'good' school.

At Bexhill - a group of horribly middle class 30-somethings got on, one was a Eurasian girl of about 25 with an expensive folding bicycle - I've never seen one that folds up so small. She stood next to me chatting to a dull 'nice but dim' type that she obviously fancied. She was excruciating - the kind of person we all dread standing next to. I was subject to her entire life story over 50 mins.

She's just broken her toe while out on a 10 mile run ( and a woman had trodden on her toe at Notting Hill Carnival, "in HEELS!!!"), she's annoyed because she's climbing Everest in 3 months and "you can't take a disability to Nepal".  When she spoke she dropped in as many Americanisms as she could manage, she must have spent time there, and had a very juvenile turn of phrase and used that annoying dipthong that makes everything sound like a question. Whatever it is that she does - she considers herself a renaissance woman, she's apparently an expert and authority on social media and has hundreds of followers, has written a paper on 'social media fatigue' and also worked as a photographer ( "I'm doing a friends wedding, they want something funky, offbeat and original - like me, that's why I agreed to do it " ). She contributes to 'dozens' of blogs and journals - has spent 6 months in Iceland " Just photographing the landscape, it's sooooo amazing and alien, it was very spiritual"  She now wants to spend time in the Hebridies - after Nepal, of course - and complained that soooo many people need her that she has so little time for herself - "I have a life too, you know!" - she was reading a self help book ( the type with cartoon illustrations ) called - 'How to focus on what YOU want from your life, and how to get it'. I had a few suggestions. By Lewes I wanted to punch her face repeatedly until it was a bloody pulp.

The bloke she was chatting up had just come back from a Highland Games "Yah - like the Queen was there, and David Cameron, like really close to us" and he said something like " I'm probably going to try my hand at something else - I mean, I'm not going to be a barrister for EVER!"

I spent today working in an office with a bloke who has Cup-a-Soup for lunch and listens to 80's music all day - harmonising with a whistling humming noise. He like Van Halen and Bruce Springstein.


( just to say - I have nothing whatsoever against the middle classes - I spent years trying to join them - the persons above would have been utter cunts regardless of their social background... come on, admit it... we all know one )



4 comments:

Steerforth said...

God she sounds awful. The law should be changed to include 'psycholgical self-defence' (i'e. punching) against fuckits who drone on about how wonderful they are and use the word 'spiritual' when the nearest they've ever got to an emotional experience is crying during the West End show of 'The Lion King'.

I'd reinstate the gulags!

Richard said...

Oddly enough - they did turn Bexhill into a sort of Gulag in 'The Children Of Men' - I know know where the idea came from.

Schneewittchen said...

Ugh, they both sound quite dreadful. And the thing about class is, the more you have of it, the less you advertise. The nouveau riche, for example, make a point of being loudly rude to servers in restaurants, the impoverished upper middles are always very polite.
Still, all grist to the writer's mill I s'pose, even if it did make the journey somewhat aggravating.

Schneewittchen said...

Oh, plus, I consider it my ABSOLUTE duty as a Brit living in the Colonies, to eschew all Americanisms and preserve the integrity of the English language, up to and including gerunds. ('server' notwithstanding).

Post a Comment