Sunday 25 September 2011

I had a break

I have been otherwise occupied for a few days. I had a fun day Friday, losing my temper and threatening to resign unless my demands were met by 2pm. To my utter amazement, it worked. I was, of course, deadly serious - I'd already reorganised my finances and felt a huge lighteness of being based on the burden of teaching being lifted from my shoulders. I'm back teaching the start of year tomorrow but don't hod out much hope. There are 2 people I've crossed off my metaphorical xmas card list and I'd already worked out who they could get to replace me. I could survive all the way to Xmas anyway without much bother.

I had a bonfire yesterday and burnt loads of old crap, cleared up the garden and filled a whole compost bin. it was a shame - in it's overgrown state it was very green and lush - I liked it. It's never looked so healthy and inviting. The incinerator is full of cinders and I'm going to let it cool down and have another one next week to clear the rest f the crap from the loft - and any other bits and pieces I want to get rid of.

The house is pretty clean - but sadly, many of the things I had planned for the summer break just didn't happen and I had no time off - which is a bit of a bugger. Talking of which - they are doing the whole 'God v gay marriage' on the radio - this being Sunday Morning, it's a rambling mess.

I have commercial work today, quite a bit, and then I have to prepare myself for tomorrow. I'm keeping the first week quite low key - let them all settle in. One of the peculiarities of the UCAS system means that I have no idea who will turn up tomorrow - or how many of them - we don't get that information until they have enrolled. Despite the fact they have confirmed a place - they could have confirmed 2 or 3 other places, we can't tell - so who knows... One department I won't name could have anything between 10 and 30 first years. Personally - I'm happy with a smaller group... but lets see what happens.

I watched the whole of the original 'Tinker, Tailor' - and it was a joy.

Someone from the crappy little welsh town I was brought up in just had their letter read out on the radio - I didn't even know they could write - it was also sensible and rational.... f.y.i - it's called Connah's Quay. The photograph of St Mark's Church on the Wiki site was taken from outside the house I lived in as a child.

2 comments:

lucy joy said...

Glad you didn't just leave that one open. "Crappy little Welsh town" doesn't narrow it down at all - are there any other kinds of town here?

Richard said...

- not really... no.. My sister still lives there and is very happy - but she's wrapped up in her children and her husband has a large and very close family so there is a huge comfort zone for her.

Post a Comment