... and that means it's nearly Friday.
Just had my first shave in 3 weeks - it wasn't pretty.
Nice enough now - storms due later, I'll be taking my coat. There is the first meeting of the Hastings Green Party tonight - I can't go but have asked to be kept in the loop.
Spent a bit of time this morning trying to decode the Daily Mail's stance on Britishness - despite the fact they strive to pin their flag to all things little Englander, they loathe Britain and everything about it - they really can't seem to get their head round it - yesterday they were up in arms about an article in a German magazine, mocking the olympics as shoddy, badly organised and probably a bit damp - but as the hundreds of comments pointed out - that's actually their stance and has been for several years.
I am - I suppose, first generation British - an accident of birth of different choices by my parents could have seen me brought up in Spain - or potentially - if there had been different choices on my mothers side, Ireland. Neither countries fiscally stable - both with their own issues ( my childhood would have been far more marked by domestic terrorism than here ) and I would have had a far worse standard of living - been forced to do national service, and almost certainly been an economic migrant at some point in my life. I may not always be proud of being British - but I do like it - and it's preferable to any alternative ( except any of the Norther European countries - Finland, Sweden... fuck it - I'd even be quite happy in Iceland ). I know someone who was brought up in The Faroe Islands - that always appealed to me - but was never on the cards.
I'm particularly interested in the venom hurled at Danny Boyle and his plans for the Olympic opening ceremony - much ridicule at his take on an almost pastoral view of our past ( well, that's how it looks from here ) - the people most vocal don't seem to see themselves in the mirror - or perhaps that's why they are so angry.
I can tell you one thing - I lived in Walthamstow for a couple of years - that part of London was a barren Shit hole - anyone who has seen the film version of The Road will understand.
I've just been informed you can buy a special edition olympic £5 coin. For £40.
I worked at home yesterday - I really needed to get more done - but clients never play ball, and besides - I was a bit knackered. I went out for a run last night - first time in a couple of weeks - I really noticed that I'd lost weight in the middle - not worried about that.
Not having a telly occasionally has it's drawbacks - apparently the 'search for Jesus' with Lord Webber is accidental comic genius. Big debate on Facebook last night - what is the plural of 'Jesus' - and what is the collective noun for a crowd of Jesus(s)? Contributions include Jessies, Jes-u, Jessusssess and Jedi, and followed by 'An Ascention...' - 'A manger...' - 'An epiphany..' and my contribution, A miracle of Jesus' - or 'A Mirage..' depending on your point of view. ( see what I did with the apostrophe... crafty!)
No comments:
Post a Comment